Taddy BLAZUSIAK made it a winning start to his 2014 Maxxis FIM SuperEnduro World Championship with victory at round one in Liverpool’s Echo Arena.
Taking three wins from three starts, BLAZUSIAK convincingly put his KTM on the top step of the podium. Enjoying a successful start to his season, Manxman David KNIGHT (Sherco) finished as runner-up with Spain’s Dani GIBERT (Husaberg) completing the top three. Setting the fastest time in the Super Pole qualification, BLAZUSIAK secured an all-important first gate pick. With track conditions tough and technical, the KTM rider grabbed the all-important holeshot for Final #1. Quickly into second, KNIGHT gave chase and momentarily made a pass for the lead. Fighting back,BLAZUSIAK held his ground and retook the lead. Pushing hard for the final few laps, the Polish rider comfortably won the first race of the night. With KNIGHT finishing second, GIBERT was third. In the reversed start for Final #2, GIBERT capitalised on his front row start. Passing early leaderKyle REDMOND (USA-KTM) on lap three, the Spaniard worked hard to keep a chasingBLAZUSIAK at bay. But with the KTM rider finding a better line through the water splash,BLAZUSIAK hit the front of the field and claimed his second race win. Holding off a late charge from Spain’s Alfredo GOMEZ (Husqvarna), GIBERT placed as runner-up to BLAZUSIAK with GOMEZ third.
Intent on securing a hat trick of wins in Liverpool – BLAZUSIAK holeshot Final #3. Comfortable out front, the Pole eased his way to victory. Bouncing back from fifth in Final #2 to take second place,KNIGHT secured the runner-up result on the night. Despite his seventh position in Final #3,GIBERT took the final step of the podium. With his 5-3-5 scorecard, GOMEZ placed fourth overall with Cody WEBB (USA-Beta) rounding out the top five.
In the Women’s race it was pre-event favourite Laia SANZ (S-Honda) that eventually took the victory. Pressured hard by Britain’s Emma BRISTOW (Sherco) in the closing stages of the race, the Spaniard held her nerve and crossed the finish line as the winner. Impressing on her debut SuperEnduro race, Bristow was second with Jane DANIELS (GB-Husqvarna) recovering strongly from a bad start to take third. Spain’s Sandra GOMEZ (Husaberg) and Fionn GRIFFITHS (GB-KTM) were fourth and fifth respectively.
The 2014 Maxxis FIM SuperEnduro World Championship continues with round two in Poland on December 14th.
1. BLAZUSIAK Taddy PZM POL KTM 20 20 20 63
2. KNIGHT David ACU GBR Sherco 17 11 17 45
3. GIBERT Daniel RFME ESP Husaberg 15 17 9 41
4. GOMEZ Alfredo RFME ESP HVA 11 15 11 37
5. WEBB Cody AMA USA Beta 13 10 10 35
6. WALKER Jonny ACU GBR KTM 10 8 15 34
7. LJUNGGREN Joakim SVEMO SWE HVA 9 9 13 31
8. REDMOND Kyle AMA USA KTM 8 13 3 24
9. McCANNEY Daniel ACU GBR KTM 7 5 8 20
10. ROMAN Mario RFME ESP Husaberg 4 6 7 17
11. CERVANTES Ivan RFME ESP KTM 6 4 6 16
12. ROOKSTOOL Kevin AMA USA KTM 2 7 4 13
13. LETTENBICHLER Andreas DMSB GER KTM 1 2 5 8
14. SAGAR Tom ACU GBR KTM 5 1 2 8
15. DIETRICH Ricky AMA USA KTM 3 1 4
16. BELLINO Mathias FFM FRA HVA 3 3